Monday, December 7, 2009

Dishes duty

At the beginning of the semester like any good apartment of girls, we set down some rules for dishes and cleaning and such. It worked great!... for about a week! We brought it up again after just doing the dishes ourselves (there are 4 of us who actually care) and it got better.
Now it's December and the dishes are piling up again. It was funny, Brother Embree actually brought this same idea up in our comm class. That day we were discussing conflict. There are two types of personalities when it comes to conflicts- the avoiders and the confronters. I myself- most def an avoider! I go to others and vent my frustrations, but at all costs never approach the other person, unless forced under pressure. In the dishes dilemma being the avoider, I'd just rather complain and do the dishes myself... getting more and more frustrated each time. (i just keep thinking to myself- 3 more weeks...2 more weeks...) haha I think I'm learning that I need to become a little more of a confronter and balance out my avoider-ness. :) Being both can be a good thing. I don't know, what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I'm the complete opposite! I am definitely a confronter. Sometimes I think it would be better if i just kept things to myself a little bit. I think the best case scenario would be right in the middle? ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that I can be either one. I would like to say that I am more of a confronter, but in some scenarios I just avoid the conflict. Depending on who I am around I find this works or makes things worse. Half of my family are confronters and half are avoiders, it probably isnt the best, but we have made it work. What I do see, is the strong personalities in the family are often not told things that may cause conflict. It is unfortunate that often times our conflict styles are complementary in a negative way (Fight Flight) rather than positve (Listen Talk).

    ReplyDelete