Tuesday, October 13, 2009

communication

So I just realized I'm supposed to use this blog to comment on what I've been learning in class. I think I'll do everyother post liek this, and try to keep you updated on my crazy life as well.

In class we just finished up a couple of chapters and took a test. We had an assignment to interview someone with different beliefs than ours and just listen with an open mind, then to write what we learned. I wrote a paper, but I thought I'd share here as well. I talked with my wonderful brother about politics. I will openly admit, I know nothing of politics and to a certain point, don't care about them. (guilty) On the other hand, my brother has some very strong opinions and beliefs about politics. So we chatted on the phone for an hour. Honestly, it was one of the best conversations I've had in a while. I listened with an open mind and gained a lot of insight. No, i'm not going to say I've become a liberalist now. But I will say that he helped to open my eyes to not only things he has noticed, but to the whole politics thing in general. I should be watching the news, or atleast catching up on things in the world. I should be forming my own opinions, and researching those, versus just going off of other's ideas and beliefs.

I think the most important thought I gained from this chat with Jeremy was that we can either take what's going on with the country and the world and nitpick every little thing and try to find every little thing that's wrong. OR we can take the fact that Obama is our president and look for the good in what he's doing. We can stay optimistic and look for what we agree with versus being upset about the bad things all the time. It's all about having an open mind!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh you did listen to my rant after all :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course I did! I told you I liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting when we are confronted by new ideas, especially when we can't just dismiss the source of those ideas? You know that your brother is not crazy, bad, or stupid, so if he sees the world differently you have to assume he sees something you don't. You don't have to become converted to his way of thinking, but as you seriously consider his ideas you take a step into a larger world :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete